- Citizen Programs/Services
- Citizen Ride-Along Program
Citizen Ride-Along Program
To help foster a positive relationship with the community and to help citizens better understand what our officers do on a daily basis, the Riley County Police Department has a ride-along program that puts citizens in police cars out on patrol with officers. Citizens can get a first-hand look at the challenges officers face each day and hopefully come away with a better understanding of the services we provide.
Ride-along participants only act as observers. They do not perform any law enforcement work that the officer would normally do. They do not wear a uniform or badge, operate a patrol car, handle department equipment or weapons or complete any official paperwork. To apply for a ride-along, complete this Ride-Along Application (PDF). Next, save as a PDF and then submit by email to Rusti Klym (this form does contain personal and contact information).
- The Patrol Division Commander, or designee, may allow civilians and law enforcement personnel from other jurisdictions to ride along with on-duty officers.
- Juvenile participants under age eighteen must secure additional approval from their parents or legal guardian.
- No more than 2 participants may ride along during the same time period.
- Participants will complete and submit their Application and Waiver of Liability at least 14 days in advance of their preferred ride-along date and time.
- Applications will be routed to the Public Information Officer for processing.
- A local background check and criminal history check is completed on all applicants.
- Upon final review, the Public Information Officer or shift supervisor will contact the participant to notify them of their eligibility status.
Waiver of Liability
- Required for all participants
- Must be signed by all participants age 18 and over
- Must be signed by all parents of participants under 18 years of age
- Will reflect inherent risks of the ride-along program and the participant/parent's acceptance of these risks
- Will reflect participant restrictions and instructions
- Clean, casual clothing in good condition is acceptable
- Shorts or sleeveless shirts are not allowed
- Open-toed shoes are not allowed
- Conduct themselves in a civil and courteous manner at all times
- At all times obey the directives of the officer with whom they are riding
- Remain in the police vehicle during traffic stops
- Not enter any building, home, or other area unless and until instructed to do so by an officer
- Not interfere with officers while in the performance of their duties
- Not photograph or record by any means, any activity, person or area without permission of the officer
- Not become involved in the arrest or physical control of any person
- Not carry weapons while participating in the ride-along program, unless they are an active Law Enforcement Officer
- Ride Alongs are not permitted after the hours of 9:30 pm or before the hours of 7:30 am.
For more information or to schedule a ride-along, contact Rusti Klym, Patrol Secretary.