To help foster a positive relationship with the community and to help citizens better understand what our dispatchers do on a daily basis, the Riley County Police Department has a sit-in program that puts citizens in the communication center with dispatchers. People can get a first-hand look at the work dispatchers face each day and hopefully come away with a better understanding of the services we provide.
Sit-in participants only act as observers. They do not perform any law enforcement work that the dispatcher would normally do. They do not wear a uniform, handle department equipment, or complete any official paperwork. To apply for a sit-in, complete this Ride-Along Application. Next, save as a PDF and then submit by e-mail to the address posted at the bottom of this page (this form does contain personal and contact information).
- The Communication Center Manager, or designee, may allow civilians and law enforcement personnel from other jurisdictions to do a sit-in with dispatchers.
- Juvenile participants under age eighteen must secure additional approval from their parents or legal guardian.
- No more than 2 participants may sit-in during the same time period.
- Participants will complete and submit their Application and Waiver of Liability at least 14 days in advance of their preferred sit-in date and time.
- Applications will be routed to the Public Information Officer for processing.
- A local background check and criminal history check is completed on all applicants.
- Upon final review, the Public Information Officer or shift supervisor will contact the participant to notify them of their eligibility status.
- Required for all participants;
- Must be signed by all participants age 18 and over;
- Must be signed by all parents of participants under 18 years of age;
- Will reflect inherent risks of the sit-in program and the participant/parent's acceptance of these risks;
- Will reflect participant restrictions and instructions.
- Clean, casual clothing in good condition is acceptable;
- Shorts or sleeveless shirts are not allowed;
- Open-toed shoes are not allowed.
- Conduct themselves in a civil and courteous manner at all times;
- At all times obey the directives of the dispatcher with whom they are observing;
- Not interfere with dispatchers while in the performance of their duties;
- No photograph or recording by any means, any activity, person or area without permission of the dispatcher;
- Not become involved in the arrest or physical control of any person;
- Not carry weapons while participating in the sit-in program, unless you are an active Law Enforcement Officer.
For more information or to schedule a sit-in contact: